Our clinic is proud to have one of the most comprehensive approaches to headaches. 80% of headaches are caused by structural imbalance in the spine; however, there are many other non–pathological causes of headaches such as mild endocrine (hormone) imbalances, delayed food allergies, gastrointestinal inflammatory disorders, nutritional imbalances, and toxicity. Our doctors are well trained to manage these types of headaches. They will conduct a complete history and exam to help determine the best approach to resolve your headaches.
The Cervical Spine and Headaches
Our office is considered one of the most specialized clinics in the state for the correction of the upper cervical spine, which is where most structural headaches originate. At the Balanced Body Center, our goal is to decrease your pain and increase the motion in your neck as quickly and comfortably as possible. Our clinic utilizes the NUCCA technique to correct the upper part of the neck, which is responsible for structural headaches. After a detailed analysis and calculated lines of correction are made, a gentle touch and controlled contact to the neck are designed to restore balance to the cervical spine. Patients with complicated headaches drive and fly from all over the southern United States to visit our office for neck treatments since there are fewer than 300 practitioners in the U.S. trained in the NUCCA technique.
Even though the primary focus is the neck, the effects of the correction influence the whole spine and all body systems. The NUCCA procedure influences one of the highest control centers over body balance: the brain stem and central nervous system. The C-1 vertebrae, also known as the "Atlas", is a small donut-like bone located at the top of the spine and the base of the skull, surrounding the brain stem. When the spine is subjected to stress, the Atlas can become misaligned. This phenomenon is known as the Atlas Subluxation Complex Syndrome or the ASC Syndrome.
Advantages of the NUCCA Technique:
- Uses physics and vectors to calculate corrections
- 100% safe & comfortable
- Extremely effective at fast relief
- No twisting or rotating of the neck
How Does a Misalignment in My Neck Cause Headaches?
There are 2 main mechanisms by which the misalignment of the cervical spine can cause headaches:
- Inside the uppermost post of the cervical spine is a portion of the spinal cord called the brain stem. Inside the brain stem are the 12 cranial nerves which control many aspects of daily function such as blood flow, facial sensation, eye movements, hearing, balance, taste, and a variety of other functions. When the upper cervical spine is slightly out of alignment, normal motion can be impaired. Once this motion is impaired, inflammatory chemicals are secreted into the region. These inflammatory chemicals can impair and aggravate the local nerves in the brain stem, resulting in headaches. For more information, check out this article: Headaches and NUCCA
- Another potential headache source is the tiny ligament that connects the 1st bone in your neck (C1) to the Dura Mater. Inside your skull, the brain has a protective covering known as the Dura Mater. When the cervical spine is misaligned, it can pull on the Dura Mater through this ligament connection and create intercranial pressure on the brain and inside of the skull. Even a few millimeters of misalignment can cause significant headaches.
Our doctors believe this is why in all care, but especially in the case of headaches, correction of the cervical spine requires extreme precision, which is unique to the NUCCA technique.
Our doctors utilize a variety of tests to determine the cause of your headaches when chiropractic care alone is not enough. Our clinic emphasizes finding the source of headaches and treating those directly, rather than simply relieving the symptoms alone. Once the appropriate test is ordered and evaluated, the doctor will create a customized program which may include dietary changes and/or targeted nutritional therapy to correct the cause of your condition.
Some of these tests may include:
- Food Allergy Testing
- Neurotransmitter Testing
- Environmental Toxicity Testing
- Metal Toxicity Testing
- Male and Female Hormone Testing
- Adrenal Testing
- Gastrointestinal Studies
Beyond the Headaches:
Many people concern themselves with the symptoms of headaches; however, headaches are often just an outward sign that something in the body's system is impaired. Chiropractic care offers the potential to correct the problem without the use of harmful medications, resulting in a much healthier you. So if you want to stop the pain and get off the medications, visit our office and let us help you with your headaches.